Friday, January 3, 2014

2013 Year in review, and goals for 2014

As with last year, I thought it a good time to do a summary of progress over the course of the year, how I did against goals I'd set 12 months ago, and set some goals for 2014.

I've been doing Crossfit for 2 1/2 years now, and recording all my progress for 2 years. I broke a rib back in February which put me off training for a few weeks and set back progress against PRs (on the heavy lifts in particular I regressed and had to regain to get where I was). Nevertheless, I've improved some.

How'd I do against goals for 2013?

1. Participate in at least 1 organized event. --> DONE. Tough Mudder & Survive the Burn
2. Move from 4th quartile to 3rd quartile in the CF Open --> DONE.
3. 1 MU --> Not Done
4. 10 HSPU Unbroken --> DONE
5. 10' HS Walk --> Not Done
6. 6 minute Fran --> Not Done. improved my time, but this was an unrealistic goal to set
7. 80 DUs unbroken --> Not Done. Got up to 50.
8. C&J my body weight --> DONE.

Hitting 4 out of 8 goals is ok I guess, but I'd like to have done better.

In terms of how I've proceeded against PRs:

Here's progress on weight lifting over 2 years. Frustrating I didn't make progress on a bunch of these, but as I said, the injury in feb set me back some. Good progress on my Clean and CJ - mostly due to improved technique I think.


I made improvements on some of the benchmark and hero WODs that I had scored for the previous year. Small improvement in my Fran time, HUGE improvement in my Grace time (see CJ improvement above), and some improvement on Annie (mostly due to improved DUs.


Also, I Rx'd a number of other WODs for the first time this year: Badger, Barbara, Coe, Elizabeth, Helen, and Randy.

Conditioning-wise, I didn't improve my sprint times too much, but improved my 5k and 10k times (I ran a fair amount this year). Also made gains on the 7-minute-burpee-w-6-inch-jump that's been part of the Open for 2 years.


Overall, not the same level of gains over the year that I saw the previous year, but that's to be expected, as that was my beginner year with lots of room for improvement. I improved a number of other areas that I didn't outline here as well (efficiency on rower; S-wrap on rope climbs, etc)

Goals for 2014:

1. MU. This is the year.
2. 135# Snatch. This has been a breaker for some in the Open over the past 2 years. Need to work on it asap.
3. Move from 3rd quartile in the Open to somewhere around the middle (50-60% range) for men 40-44.
4. Participate in at least 2 events, one of them being a CF event.
5. 10' HS Walk
6. Break 7 minutes on Fran & Grace
7. 325# Deadlift
8. Break 21 minutes for 5k run

1 comment: