Friday, March 29, 2019

2019-03-29 2019 CF Open Post-Mortem

Another Crossfit Open (my 8th) wraps up so it's time for a little post-mortem number crunching.

This year, I 'graduated' to a new age division (50-54), so I thought I'd compare against the field overall, as well as against the 45-49 field to see how I'd stack up against a field closer to last year's. Results are below, as well as some thoughts on each of the 5 WODs.

Overall results:


The two columns in gray are where I took 2018/2019 results an plugged them into a different age group to see how I would have ranked vs that category to see whether I'd improved (e.g. this year I'm in 50-54, so how would last years results have ranked in that group)

Some observations:

  • Overall enrollment in the Open went down this year for the first time. I'd guess a lot of this has to do with the change in format and the overall de-emphasis from CF HQ, pulling Castro out of the spotlight, etc. 
  • The number of people completing all 5 workouts went down again this year. I think this number correlates each year to two things: How many WODs have 'showstopper' technical movements early in one of the workouts that stops people from getting a score, or forces them to go scaled (e.g. 2015 had one workout that *opened* with MUs); and also the number of new-to-crossfit participants who sign up. Just guesses on my part though.
My results

Overall, I'm pleased, and did better than I expected to do. Work had taken a toll lately and I'd not been eating as well as I should have, and went into the open feeling 80%. Despite that, results worked out well:
  • Vs the overall men's field: I finished 34th percentile vs paricipants that finished at least one workout (below left), and  44th percentile vs those that finished all 5 workouts (below right). This is the best I've ranked vs overall field in the 8 years I've been doing the Open. 



  • Plugging my results into the 45-49 field, just to compare vs previous years, I finished 15th percentile (vs all entrants) or 23rd percentil (vs those that completed all 5 workouts). In both cases an improvement over past years, despite the field overall 'getting younger'.



  • In the 50-54 field, I ranked 9th percentile vs the field overall, and 13th percentile vs those that finished all workouts. Plugging in my results from the previous year to see how I'd rank in this age group, shows I improved my standing against this age group this year. 


So, up and to the right. I should be pleased, and I am, but really feel I could have done better. If I'd really been on my game I feel I should have been able to do something like top 5%.

Lets look at individual workouts to see how they went and if there are any weaknesses exposed:

WOD 1:

15 minute grind of wallballs and rowing. Overall this isn't skills as much as just conditioning, and may favor some of the taller folks with long levers on the rower.

I ranked in 24th percentile vs those in my age group. I didn't realize it at the time, but this would be my weakest performance of the 5.

Verdict: Need to work on conditioning more.

WOD 2:

Faster paced AMRAP with DU (I'm ok at them) and T2B (a strength for me) interspersed with a bunch of increasing Cleans (135#, then 185#).

I ranked in 12th percentile. I did this one twice as I had a hard time with the 185 cleans. Also didn't get TO the cleans fast enough.

Verdict: Need to work on conditioning, and as always work on pushing my clean technique esp at heavy weight.

WOD 3:

A chipper of OH DB Lunges, DB Stepups, (both w 50# DB), 50 strict HSPU, and 200' OH HS Walk.

I knew I'd never get to the HS Walk, so while I can't do them, that wasn't the issue here.  Also, I've been working on doing both HSPU and MU's strict all year long, so that part was a strength for me. Was just a matter of how much time I had to do them. Here again I was limited by conditioning, and the conditioning bit me because that 50# DB was pretty hard for me.

I ranked in 11th percentile. I was slow-ish on the first 2 parts, but pulled ahead of much of the field because I had strict HSPU where many people were left struggling with that one.

Verdict: Need to work on conditioning but also weighted squats/pistols/lunges/stepups at heavy-ish weight.

WOD 4:

Couplet of Snatches & burpees, followed by a couplet of snatches & bar muscle-ups.

I ranked in 13th percentile.

Again, did well here because BarMU are ok for me (would have preferred Ring MU), but would have done better if I'd gotten to them sooner, limited again by conditioning.

Verdict: Need to work on my conditioning.

WOD 5:

20 minute grind of Thrusters (ugh) and C2B pullups (I think a strength for me vs others)

I ranked in the 22nd percentile. I think I'd have done better here if I'd not just come off a week of poor sleep/eating and not working out enough while at a conference. This one, again, was pure conditioning if you have these two movements.

Verdict: Again, conditioning

Lesson for next year: Overall conditioning is the main thing. Maybe working some more running and double-unders and rowing into my overall accessory work. Mostly accessory work has been focused on technique only. Also need to work on diet, esp in the weeks leading up to the Open.

Onward and upward to the fall, where the Open will happen again as they shift the calendar to accomodate for new schedule.


No comments:

Post a Comment