Friday, January 1, 2016

2015 Year in Review, and goals for 2016

First off, goals for 2015 and how I did against them. I hit 7 of the 10 goals I set out at the beginning of the year.

1. Get my L1 cert - DONE
2. 135# Snatch - DONE
3. 200# CJ - not done, but close. 195 clean in 15.1 and almost jerked it.
4. 400# Deadlift - we'll see next strength cycle how this goes
5. Do at least 3 events - Done: Four events: CF Open, Everyday Warrior, and two BCF Throwdowns in Nov/Dec.
6. Learn the butterfly pullup - Done. Barely though. strung together 5, but it needs a lot of work to get proficient.
7. Sub-7 minute Fran - DONE
8. Improve my standing in the field in the Open - DONE - went from 40th percentile for my age group to the 24th percentile. Didn't do as well as I'd have liked, but I should be happy with this jump.
9. 10' handstand walk - not done. A tiny bit of progress on HS holds and balance here.
10. 5 UB Muscle-ups. DONE

The L1 Cert was educational but not sure I'd recommend it unless someone's planning on being a professional trainer. At $1000 it had limited value. I learned some stuff, and I got a strict muscle-up during the training, which was probably worth a few hundred to me :-).

The 135# snatch was a goal for 2 years. I was glad to hit it, but it was a VERY ugly power snatch. One goal for this year will be on form, even if it means taking a lower target.

I came frustratingly close on the 200# CJ. I just need to dedicate some time to working on this piece by piece.

I was on track (I think) to hit hte 400# deadlift, but injured my back trying to PR my back squat during our last strength cycle. Will be a while to get it back, but I think I'll get there this year.

I hit the events goal, but all of them except the open were just "things I did", whereas events in the past (mid-valley melee, Ankor Wat half marathon) were things I *trained for*. That'll be the goal this year.

6,7,8 were all incremental improvements.

9. I didn't hit, and not for lack of lots of time spent on handstand holds and such. This is going to require a dedicated allotment of time, and a training plan. I need to get serious about it like I did about MU's in the past.

10. Speaking of which, 2015 was the "year of the muscle-up" for me. I got one for the first time in 2014 but didn't have them down and efficient., and I did a total of 20 in the second half of the year. In 2015 I did *680* muscle-ups, 60 of those strict. This was a result of dedicated effort on this movement, working on it after class multiple times a week.

My running was down versus 2014, with all the half-marathon added training I did that year. Total running per year:

2012: 293 km
2013: 478 km
2014: 690 km <-- included a couple months of ~100km/month
2015: 442 km

2015 was lower because I was a little sick of it after the half-marathon was done and just cut out all the long runs altogether. Then later in the year I injured my calf which meant no running for a period of about 6 weeks.

Lifting:

Only some small incremental improvements here. In part because of the injury during last strength cycle, but also because I wasn't working on a dedicated plan for any one of these. that'll have to change. Exception is the snatch, but as I stated above, this was not because of, but despite of, my crappy form. Also will be a goal for the coming year.


Conditioning:

The interesting thing here is just general incremental improvement across a number of these tells me that my 'engine' is getting better, though it sure doesn't feel that way sometimes. I think it's also in part from knowing my own abilities, so I tend to come into these with a plan. Especially true for the long grinds like Murph and Angie.



Goals for 2016:

1. Get my diet back on track and get back down to the 10% body fat range. I've fallen off the wagon past 3 months or so.
2. 115 snatch - but a full squat snatch with proper form.
3. 200# CJ.
4. 400# deadlift.
5. Put in 500km of running over the course of the year.
6. Do 3 events that require training for (the open and 2 others)
7. Improve my standing in the open
8. Spend dedicated time on mobility. 15 minutes, 4x week.
9. Work on a handstand progression, to get either a free standing HS for 20s, or a 10' HS walk
10. Muscle-up virtuosity: Get to a fluid, strict MU with really solid form.
Bonus: 11. One arm chin-up


No comments:

Post a Comment